Sunday, April 22, 2012

Death Comes As the End

First Published: 1944

Setting: Thebes, ancient Egypt
Starring: Renisenb, Imhotep, Esa, Yahmose, Sobek, Hori, Henet
Important Other People: Nofret, Satipy, Ipy, Kait

Death Comes As the End begins with an introduction by Agatha Christie. As she says, she wrote this book with the advice and guidance of an Egyptologist, Stephen Glanville. As he said to her, "'There is no reason why a detective story shouldn't be just as easy to place in ancient Egypt as in 1943 in England.'" I like Agatha's next thoughts, as they correspond so well with Miss Marple's constant saying: "I saw what he meant. People are the same in whatever century they live, or where." According to her autobiography, Agatha got her ideas from a series of letters from a Ka Priest in the 11th Dynasty. Throughout the writing process, she "...was continually ringing him up and demanding information which, as he said, only took me three minutes to ask for, but which he usually had to look through eight different books to find." She sent Glanville the manuscript to read, and he informed her that he did not like the ending very much. Based on his feedback, she changed the ending, which was "...the first and only time that she changed an ending at someone else's urging." As she says, "If I think I have got a certain thing right in a book- the way it should be- I'm not easily moved from it. In this case, against my better judgement, I did give in. It was a moot point, but I still think now, when I reread the book, that I would like to rewrite the end of it- which shows that you should stick to your guns in the first place, or you will be dissatisfied with yourself."



As much research as went into this book, there are a few main things that I do not like about it (although I do want to point out that this is only the second time I have read this book, and I liked it a whole lot more the second time). The first thing is that there are too many names that I can't keep track of, mostly because I don't know how to pronounce them. I don't even know how to pronounce Renisenb, and she is the protagonist! I also don't like that some of the language used in the book definitely does not fit in with the time period of Ancient Egypt.  For example, when someone says they are "cross" about something, that does not seem like the kind of thing people would be saying in the 11th Dynasty. The third, and main, thing that I do not like is that everyone hates each other very much, is very mean to each other, and almost everyone dies! It's not fun to read such a sinister book about such repulsive people. 


A few things I will point out that I noticed- there is an allusion to The Moving Finger, when the characters talk about how a tongue may cause a death, and with all of the gossip that flies around that plantation. Death Comes As the End also uses themes from The Under Dog, a short story written by Christie in the 1920s-1930s. The story explores the relationships between a domineering personality and those that succumb to and push back against their wrath. The book also references Agatha's personal life, talking about how "what you think is an end is only the beginning," which could be an allusion to her divorce from her first husband, leading to her new, happy life with her archaeologist husband. Lastly, seeing as the book was written during World War II, the themes of courage and facing death with resolution are strong throughout the book.



Interesting facts: Agatha's only historical murder mystery. And, I think I mentioned a lot more interesting facts already.

Favorite? Nope. Too many weird names to remember, too much animosity among the characters, and too much evil in general.

Death by: pushed off cliff, poison, drowned, suffocated, shot with arrow

Body Count: 8; Cumulative: 97

The Count: Poirot-21, Miss. Marple-3, Tommy and Tuppence-2, Hastings-7, Japp-7, Colonel Race-3, Superintendent Battle-5, George-1, Goby-1, No Recurring Character- 4, Mrs. Oliver-1, Albert- 2

Agatha's Life Lessons: Stick to your guns. Death is always profitable to someone. People do not really change their characters. Sometimes what you think is an end is only a beginning. Courage is the resolution to face the unseen. If one is to live always in fear it is better to die. A tongue may cause a death. Nothing can harm you unless you choose to let it. Hate is very close to love. Today is enough to live through. Once the heart is opened to evil, evil blossoms.

Up Next: Sparkling Cyanide

No comments:

Post a Comment