Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Mysterious Affair at Styles- Day 2

First Published: 1920
Setting: Essex
Starring: Poirot, Hastings
Important Other People: John and Mary Cavendish

In The Mysterious Affair at Styles, we are introduced both to Hastings and to Poirot. The time period is after the first World War, during which Hastings had been injured and Poirot had fled to England from Belgium. We also find out that Hastings and Poirot knew each other even before this time period, and that Poirot "had been in his time one of the most celebrated members of the Belgian police." Meaning, of course, that Poirot is past his prime, which lets me know that in the 70s, when the last books are published, that Poirot is at least 50 years past his prime. But I don't really care about the timeline, since Poirot has some supernatural elements about him anyways.

Styles also introduces us to Enquire Within Upon Everything, a book that I wonder why is not in everyone's household these days. Regardless, it's on its way to being in my house so that I can learn all about how Victorians solved all their problems.

Agatha makes use of her extended knowledge of poisons to show how a murder can be successfully committed, although I don't understand why so many regular people know so much about strychnine. Everything I know about poisons I learned from Agatha, so I can't imagine that too many people know all about poisons. Maybe I'll get that knowledge from Enquire Within.

There is one thing about this book that bothers me very much. Why does Hastings consistently belittle Poirot's skills, only to reassert over and over again that he guesses he hasn't actually lost his touch? It's so annoying. Obviously Hercule never loses his touch and never will, but Hastings thinks he does over and over again. I know Hastings is supposed to be kind of an idiot, but come on. It gets old and this is only the first book.

Interesting facts: Poirot has Belgian roommates (where do they go after this book?) Japp's first name is Jimmy.

Favorite? Of me, no, but probably because it's not the first one I read. If it had been, I think I would have appreciated the plot twists more. BUT, it did ensure that I would have a nearly endless supply of books to read throughout my lifetime. Of Agatha, I think so.

Death by: Strychnine

Body Count: 1

The Count: Poirot-1, Miss. Marple-0, Tommy and Tuppence-0, Hastings-1, Japp-1

Agatha's Life Lessons: A tragedy can ignite or reignite true love. Don't propose to someone because you feel bad for them (cough, cough, Hastings). The obvious person is often the culprit, no matter how sneaky they are.

Up Next: The Secret Adversary

1 comment:

  1. please read the section in Enquire Within Upon Everything titled "how to get married" and tell me what it says to do. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete